Monday, March 24, 2014

The Case of the Flying Soursop

We have a problem.

For some reason, between the three of us, we can't handle even eating ONE fresh fruit sitting on our counter. 

"Oh, we'll eat it tomorrow, its not ripe yet."
Tomorrow: "We should have eaten this yesterday, its overripe."

This time we let a soursop go bad.  Soursops are green, spiky fruits that taste like sour candy from the gods.  But this one was definitely overripe, and had developed a nice skin of black mush.  Taking it outside, we intended to chuck it in the jungle.

"Teecha."

Little Mitchigo suddenly comes out of nowhere.  An evil little "grinchy" though entered my mind.

"Hey Mitchigo!  Want a soursop?"

She thought for a moment.  "Yes."

She held her arms out in front of her as if she were going to catch a teddy bear.  Standing about 20 feet away, I gently lobbed the soursop in the air, watching the mushy fruit travel down towards the waiting arms of Mitchigo.  And then, as if in slow motion, the soursop made contact.

SPLOOSH.

Arms still extended in front of her, the soursop exploded on contact, sending juicy bits of fruit all over her frontside.  Her brother was nearly rolling on the ground, laughing with delight.  Without even blinking an eye, Mitchigo does an about-face and heads straight for the water faucet. 

I ran after her, feeling a bit bad now.  

I stood at the water faucet and apologized, and noticed she was trying to hide her face.  Oh no.  Did I make her cry?  

Feeling horrible now, I tried to strengthen my apology.  She turned off the water, and slowly uncovered her face.  Turning her head my direction, a sly little smile cracked on her face.

"I'm going to tell on you."

She gave a creepy little laugh and ran off to join her brother.  I have yet to receive my punishment from who ever she told on me with.  



A day in the life,


River Davis


No comments:

Post a Comment